Himalaya Watch

People, issues. Debates, perspectives. Details, nuances. A crisp view from the top.

Visit the new professional website of Jiwan Kshetry

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Naya Pakistan: How I lost my faith in this nation



Pakistan is going through one of its frequent crises in recent history. The protests in Islamabad led by the PTI chief Imran Khan and the cleric Qadri have apparently taken ominous turn today with protesters surrounding the parliament and pushing forward.

For those looking for a closer coverage of the whole fiasco, I recommend the Pakistani media which are doing their job in a more or less wholesome way. Meanwhile, here I carry the initial part of a poignant and provocative column of a TV journalist from Islamabad from The Express Tribune. 


Behold Naya Pakistan


So the cat is out of the bag. Naya Pakistan is before us. And boy is it ugly? Uglier than a mad man’s dream. Our revolutionaries have brought us on our knees. But why complain? Fatalist as I have become, I am convinced that this is our luck. But let us just not go there. Perhaps, people are unaware of the full extent of the disaster being averted. And yet today is not the day to regale you with the details. Nor the year. Perhaps in 2015 you will know the extent of the full circus.
For now, let us not go there. Imran Khan is celebrating. He’ll probably get married soon. Seeds of change he has sown today will bear ugly painful thorns soon. Painful for him, mind you, not just us. But where does he go from here? A return to the good profitable cricket commentating days? But what of his politics? And that in essence is the question.
We have seen some unsavoury scenes. A parliamentarian threatening to storm parliament. A man considered a national hero not just by cricket lovers but patriots, asking us to stop paying taxes, boycott the state-owned banks. A self-proclaimed prime ministerial candidate threatening to attack and take over the prime ministerial mansion. Will you vote for this man? Don’t answer just now. Give it a few months. Then we’ll see.

Read the whole article in The Express Tribune here

No comments:

विजय कुमारको खुशी पढेपछि

जीवन, खुशी अहंकार

जीवनमा अफ्ठ्यारा घुम्तीहरुमा हिंडिरहँदा मैले कुनै क्षणमा पलायनलाई एउटा विकल्पको रुपमा कल्पना गरेको थिएँ, त्यसलाई यथार्थमा बदल्ने आँट गरिनँ, त्यो बेग्लै कुरा हो त्यसबेला लाग्थ्योः मेरा समग्र दुखहरुको कारण मेरो वरपरको वातावरण हो, यसबाट साहसपूर्वक बाहिरिएँ भने नयाँ दुख आउलान् तर तत्क्षणका दुरुह दुखहरु गायब भएर जानेछन् कति गलत थिएँ !


Read more from Dashain Issue

Debating partition of India: culpability and consequences




Read the whole story here

Why I write...

I do not know why I often tend to view people rather grimly: they usually are not as benevolent, well-intentioned and capable or strong as they appear to be. This assumption is founded on my own self-assessment, though I don’t have a clue as to whether it is justifiable to generalize an observation made in one individual. This being the fact, my views of writers as ‘capable’ people are not that encouraging: I tend to see them as people who intend to create really great and world-changing writings but most of the times end up producing parochial pieces. Also, given the fact that the society where we grow and learn is full of dishonesty, treachery, deceit and above else, mundanity, it is rather unrealistic to expect an entirely reinvigorating work of writing from every other person who scribbles words in paper.


On life's challenges

Somebody has said: “I was born intelligent but education ruined me”. I was born a mere child, as everyone is, and grew up as an ordinary teenager eventually landing up in youth and then adulthood. The extent to which formal education helped me to learn about the world may be debatable but it definitely did not ruin me. There were, however, things that nearly ruined me. There came moments when I contemplated some difficult choices. And there came and passed periods when I underwent through an apparently everlasting spell of agony. There came bends in life from which it was very tempting to move straight ahead instead of following the zigzag course.


Read more