Himalaya Watch

People, issues. Debates, perspectives. Details, nuances. A crisp view from the top.

Visit the new professional website of Jiwan Kshetry

Thursday, April 2, 2015

End of fast by Prof GKC: Ordeal over, journey starts now

After twelve tumultuous days fraught with tension and unpredictability, we have been finally successful to:

  • force the govt to fulfill most of the demands
  • salvage the health of KC sir before it cross the critical threshold
The details of the agreement are largely technical because the outcome depends on implementation of the agreements rather than the written words.

Beyond that, the most important achievement has been to bring unprecedented transparency in health sector in Nepal. Sooner or later, accountability will follow. Then will follow some semblance of good governance in this otherwise chaotic country. The journey has thus started and there is a long way to go but as the saying goes, getting started is getting half done. 

The exhaustion from all these days makes me incapable of writing in details now but I'll surely write a detailed account of the whole movement once I overcome sleep deprivation and fatigue.

The greatest prize today is that a reasonably healthy Dr Govinda KC is with us and that in itself is a safeguard against the evil forces in the country. That gives all of us immense satisfaction.

Keep tuned for a detailed article. Cheers!

No comments:

विजय कुमारको खुशी पढेपछि

जीवन, खुशी अहंकार

जीवनमा अफ्ठ्यारा घुम्तीहरुमा हिंडिरहँदा मैले कुनै क्षणमा पलायनलाई एउटा विकल्पको रुपमा कल्पना गरेको थिएँ, त्यसलाई यथार्थमा बदल्ने आँट गरिनँ, त्यो बेग्लै कुरा हो त्यसबेला लाग्थ्योः मेरा समग्र दुखहरुको कारण मेरो वरपरको वातावरण हो, यसबाट साहसपूर्वक बाहिरिएँ भने नयाँ दुख आउलान् तर तत्क्षणका दुरुह दुखहरु गायब भएर जानेछन् कति गलत थिएँ !


Read more from Dashain Issue

Debating partition of India: culpability and consequences




Read the whole story here

Why I write...

I do not know why I often tend to view people rather grimly: they usually are not as benevolent, well-intentioned and capable or strong as they appear to be. This assumption is founded on my own self-assessment, though I don’t have a clue as to whether it is justifiable to generalize an observation made in one individual. This being the fact, my views of writers as ‘capable’ people are not that encouraging: I tend to see them as people who intend to create really great and world-changing writings but most of the times end up producing parochial pieces. Also, given the fact that the society where we grow and learn is full of dishonesty, treachery, deceit and above else, mundanity, it is rather unrealistic to expect an entirely reinvigorating work of writing from every other person who scribbles words in paper.


On life's challenges

Somebody has said: “I was born intelligent but education ruined me”. I was born a mere child, as everyone is, and grew up as an ordinary teenager eventually landing up in youth and then adulthood. The extent to which formal education helped me to learn about the world may be debatable but it definitely did not ruin me. There were, however, things that nearly ruined me. There came moments when I contemplated some difficult choices. And there came and passed periods when I underwent through an apparently everlasting spell of agony. There came bends in life from which it was very tempting to move straight ahead instead of following the zigzag course.


Read more